Characteristics of food
Sorbitol can be prepared by reducing glucose, and is widely distributed in pears, peaches and apples, with a content of about 1%~2%. It is as sweet as glucose, but gives a strong feeling. It is absorbed and utilized slowly in the body without increasing the blood sugar level. It is also a good humectant and interfacial agent.
It was one of the first sugar alcohols allowed in Japan as a food additive, used to improve food moisture retention, or as a thickener. Can be used as a sweetener, as in sugar-free gum. It is also used as a humectant, excipient and glycerin substitute for cosmetics and toothpaste.
The main purpose
1. It can be used as raw material to produce vitamin C. Sorbitol can be fermented and chemically synthesized to produce vitamin C. It can also be used as a raw material for industrial surfactants to produce span and Twan surfactants. Sorbitol, with its moisturizing properties, can replace glycerin and is used in the production of toothpaste, cigarettes and cosmetics. Using sorbitol and propylene oxide as raw materials, polyurethane rigid foam plastics with flame retardant property can be produced. In the food industry, it is used as a sweetener, a humectant, a chelating agent and a tissue improver. In the medical industry, sorbitol is nitrified and dehydrated sorbitol ester is used to treat coronary heart disease. Food additives, cosmetics raw materials, organic synthetic raw materials, moisturizing agents, solvents, etc.
2. Nutritive sweeteners, wetting agents, chelating agents and stabilizers. It is a special sweetening agent with moisturizing function. It is not converted into glucose in human body and is not controlled by insulin, so it is suitable for diabetics. It can be used for pastries with a maximum usage of 5.0g/kg; The maximum usage amount in surimi and its products is 0.5g/kg. It can also be used as defoaming agent for sugar making, brewing and soybean products. It can also be used to moisturize raisins, thicken alcohol, cool drinks, and keep fragrance, as well as candy and gum.
3. Synthetic resin and plastics, separation and analysis of low boiling point oxygen-containing compounds, etc. It is also used as gas chromatography fixative, thickener, hardener, insecticide, etc.
4. Used as a stationary liquid for gas chromatography, for the separation and analysis of low boiling oxygen-containing compounds, amines, nitrogen or oxygen heterocyclic compounds. It is also used in organic synthesis.
5. Used as a humidifier for toothpaste, cosmetics and tobacco. It is a substitute for glycerine, which has a mild moisturizing effect and tastes better. You can use it with other moisturizers to get a synergistic effect. It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry as raw material for the manufacture of vitamin C.
6. Diuretic dehydrating agent. For the treatment of cerebral edema and increased intracranial pressure, increased intraocular pressure for the treatment of glaucoma, also used for edema, oliguria heart normal renal function.
7. Aquatic preservative.  The ratio of 2.1% sucrose + 3.15% sorbitol + 1.00% compound phosphate could effectively reduce the water activity of dried fish fillets and improve the activity of CA-ATpase.